Sunday, May 4, 2014

W.J.E.I. DAY 7- dinner

My parents plan to open their pizza/ice cream parlor this weekend in Michigan.  They make a very good Ruben pizza.  I was missing it...
Since I had to make Naan (traditional and GF) for our trip to Chicago- well, this lead to the kids asking for pizza...

Cuban Pizza- my way...

Pulled pork-
I happen to still have a few quarts of pulled chicken that I canned last fall.  Instead of pork, I used this.
Pickled red onions
Dill pickles
Homemade BBQ sauce
Homemade turmeric mustard sweet sauce
Homemade mozzarella cheese
Homemade Naan-GF version

If I wasn't so far behind today I would post recipes for all...and I might have been able to take this photo with real light instead of a bulb!
The picture usually never fails me....but this time I think it did.

If you enjoy Cuban sandwiches- you would really enjoy this.



Pickled red onions


Slice red onions about 1/4'' thin.  Place in a small bowl and saturate red wine vinegar over the onions- toss a few times and they will be ready in about 30 minutes.  These are a favorite in our house.  We put them in everything- kind of remind me of a pickled banana pepper- but you taste onion.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Well, it wasn't a complete bust.  I didn't deviate from my traditional meals- I wanted to see how often I already followed the Paleo style of eating and it seems I come pretty close- with the exception of cheese.  I may not be from WI...but when in Rome...

I was able to make all of this weeks meals (past 7 days), with a few items from the house, 100% organic and with 3 four person family meals in the freezer- all for under $100.   I still have 4 more days worth of full meals in the fridge to be made... this does not include leftovers or what will go in the freezer for future dinners.  Even if I had to buy the things I did have on hand... the total would have topped off around $120.

So doing the math- let us just say it was $120.  With rolling over the ingredients to make various ethnic foods- we would be totaling out about 14 meals (some with leftovers) for a 4 person family.  
Organic and clean.  
There are people out there that believe good food is really expensive.  Yes, it can be.  But that soda/fast food/beer habit some people have is also pricey.
You think eating healthy is expensive?  Have you priced the cost of cancer lately?  

No comments:

Post a Comment