Sunday, May 4, 2014

W.J.E.I. DAY 7 Breakfast omelet

Since nettles are popping up everywhere in my area- we eat as much as we can.  After about a week of nutrient overload- all of us are feeling amazing.  Being spring time- my son has allergies and keeps waking with bloody noses.  Consuming nettles relieves both- just to start with!

Breakfast:

I was in the mood for subtlety....



1 duck egg
2 chicken egg whites
caramelized red onion
steamed nettle

I first caramelize the 1/4'' red onion slices i a teaspoon of butter in a cast iron pan on low- pull onions off and then place nettles on hot pan- pour a little bit of water on the nettles to help steam down.  Pull nettles off and set aside with onions.

Lightly beat yolk into whites and set aside.  Add a small amount of olive oil to the pan and spread egg mixture around to coat the entire bottom.  Cook on low until 90% cooked.  Toss on nettles and onions then fold the egg mixture in half to form the omelet.

Not adding salt or pepper to the eggs made the omelet very delicate. I was able to really savor the taste of the caramelization in the onions against the eggs.  The meatier texture of the nettles formed a perfect balance and pulled the whole thing together.

1 comment:

  1. This looks yummy! I would love a more in depth tutorial on nettles. I have no knowledge in the area of herbs or wild plants.

    ReplyDelete