Friday, May 2, 2014

W.J.E.I. DAY 5- all meals

Apparently I Rip-Van-Winkled a day away this week.  First thing this morning I got a phone call asking if I was okay because I pulled a no-show on my responsibilities yesterday!  So- that meant I was double busy today catching up on appointments, farming and shopping etc.

Leftovers were key today. As soon as my son awoke- he began asking for last nights dinner. After fitting two days of events into one half day- I was exhausted.  Needless to say tonight was a scramble and I once again used leftovers to make dinner.

Since I still had rice from last night and cooked ground turkey from Shepard's pie. I figured I could shift that into Mexican food.
I reheated the turkey in a pan with cumin, 2 ancho chili peppers and a bit more garlic. Used that up in between the layers of homemade GF taco shells [double pan grilled for a sturdy crunch].... and layered the whole thing with my enchilada sauce-

For my meal, I made the enchilada sauce into a vinaigrette and had a taco salad.


Enchilada sauce:

1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup Almond or coconut flour- [if coconut flour is used add between 1-2 T more coconut oil]
1 quart of jarred tomatoes- diced or whole and then smashed
3 T chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano (dried is fine)
1 teaspoon Cumin
1/4 cup diced white onion
2-3 garlic cloves
1 T maple syrup- or brown sugar
1 cup water
Pink Himalayan salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Heat the oil and flour and cook over medium heat for about 1-2 minutes.  Stir in everything then bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and stir on occasion for 10 minutes until slightly thickened.
The coconut oil used in this brings out a sweetness that compliments the spices of Mexican food quite well....if cinnamon was added to this it would begin to take on more of a Moroccan feel.
If you don't care for that kind of sweetness I would use extra virgin olive oil.



No comments:

Post a Comment