Thursday, May 1, 2014

W.J.E.I. DAY 4 lunch/dinner Moqueca [Brazilian fish stew]

A few weeks ago we had this over at a friends house- their prep of the dish was very similar to mine- but we wait for spring so we can use wild leaks... or Ramps- as they are actually called.

I immediately thought of my friend Liz and her husbands constant rotation of fresh salmon.  I can't believe I have never made this dish for her.  So- here you are, Liz.  Another option for your never ending suply.

Today was yet another cold, rainy, blustery day.  I picked up the ingredients for this dish last week to have on hand- and if I didn't use up the cilantro soon, I would not have any left.  My children treat bunches of the stuff for special treats- I had 5 bunches, I was dwindling with less than one left. That- and the limes were beginning to look hard.

Usually I make this with Copper River Salmon, 
but I had picked up a pound and a half wild caught Alaskan Cod- and it worked perfectly. 

1  1/2 - 2# firm fish
1 head of garlic- chopped 
Juice of 4 limes
1 cup chopped Ramps
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1 red, green and yellow pepper-seeded and diced
2 cups tomatoes how you like them- diced, chopped, stewed or sliced
1 T (Hungarian sweet) paprika 
1 t red pepper flakes
1 large bunch of chopped cilantro
Olive oil
1T palm oil
Salt/pepper
1 can of organic coconut milk
*everything I use is as organic and as fresh as I can find it*

IF you serve this with rice... at least prep the rice by frying up some onion and garlic before you add the raw rice and water to cook.  This way it will have the flavor needed to accompany this dish

Marinade the fish in the lime juice and garlic.
Fry the onions in the oil for a few minutes then add the paprika, salt, pepper and bell peppers. 
Cook until tender. lay the fish on the peppers and onions and pour in the remaining marinade.
Pour in coconut milk and gently top stir the cilantro into the mix. At this point pour in the tomatoes- or of you like them sliced- place them in.

Simmer until the fish is cooked through.





1 comment:

  1. it will be great to try something new with all of the Salmon this summer!

    ReplyDelete