Saturday, May 3, 2014

W.J.E.I. DAY 6- all meals

Today was jam-packed with harvesting nettles and building onto a friends chicken coop.
Not so hungry today-
breakfast was diatomaceous earth.
Lunch was sauteed nettles, garlic and lemon...and by the time I finished at my friends house...well... dinner was once again leftovers.

In a few days I will be taking the kids to Chicago to explore the museums and aquarium.  Planning food for a trip where I must bring my own water and food or everything else will make us sick- well, it gets to become a larger job each time.

One thing the kids enjoy that I make for trips are chewy protein granola bars.


I don't usually stick with an exact recipe since the dried fruit and seeds change weekly in my house.

4 cups steel cut oats
1 cup almonds 
1 cup unsweetened coconut- toasted
1/4 cup Chia seed
1/4 cup flax seed
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
2T sesame seeds
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 cup dried fruit
1- 1 1/2 cup honey
1 T cinnamon
zest of 2 limes or 6 key limes

In an 8x12 pan - (or larger if you want thinner bars) I roast the oats, salt and zest until the oats begin to turn golden (350*).  I pull out the oats and add all ingredients while still warm making sure everything is folded together.
Once combined- I press all ingredients back into roasting pan.  At this point I find another pan that inserts well and use all my strength to pack the bars down.  It must be pressed well or they will fall apart.

Place back in oven and cook for 20-30 minutes.  Allow to cool then place in fridge for an hour before cutting.  This will be a challenge! Be careful!  Hard to cut but chewy to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment