Tuesday, April 29, 2014

W.J.E.I. Day 2- all meals- sweet potato shepherd's pie


Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie


With the hubs gone again for a while- I know I will be focused more on my daughters school work so I tend to try to make a few meals out of one.

Tonight will be sweet potato shepherd's pie with a balsamic and thyme reduction.



Today was a bit of a blur- breakfast, lunch and all the snacks were well within range of the Paleo rules (predictable routine of eggs, almonds and salads)

-Veggies from the cellar/fridge/left overs- this has zucchini, rutabagas and carrots etc.
***I purchase local and organic- and found that Driftless Organics is 12 miles down the road.  Not only do they have outstanding quality, but they allow me come in and buy several hundred pounds of what I want... every time! My children eat 25# of their amazing carrots every week! Don't think a carrot can be "amazing"? try theirs.

-Ground turkey cooked down with thyme, garlic and red onions- salt, pepper and herbs to taste-
*** I was out of my turkey so I picked up Organic Prairie.  Not sure if they are soy free in their feed- so I can't recommend this as a for sure go to....it is at least organic.
I meant to call for verification today, but- you know...

Vinegar reduction
2 cups balsamic vinegar
3-5 T honey- depending on how sweet you want it and how thick you like it.
1 sprig of fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
- let simmer and reduce until you have the desired thickness- viewed by coating the back of a spoon- then pull out the sprig and leaf.

Shepherd's Pie
Layer chopped veggies then cooked turkey in an accommodating dish .  Top with mashed sweet potato.  Do not smooth the potato down- the more ridge like it is, the better for alternating density and depth of texture.


Bake at 400* until veggies are tender

Dish plate and drizzle with reduction-

1 comment: