Sunday, April 27, 2014

Ear infection drops

My daughter gets ear infections every spring...for what feels like the entire duration of spring.  If she is stuffy, coughing or sneezing- she is most likely fighting an ear infection of sorts.  Since we don't use antibiotics, we use a homemade drop.

2 Tablespoons of virgin organic coconut oil
***Kills bacteria and has healing properties

~~~OR~~~

2 tablespoons olive oil
*** Olive oil is a good way of softening the wax that might be harboring the growing bacteria that might be leading to blocking the Eustachian tubes

2 cloves of crushed garlic
***being antimicrobial and it naturally relieves pain-this is usually the go to for ear infections
[some say eating a few cloves a day helps as well]

10 drops of tea tree oil ***if you have the right stuff- if not, leave out!!!***
***has antiseptic and bactericidal properties
[this MUST be high quality]
A "pure" essential oil only has to be 50% essential oil...the rest are fillers
[No more that 15% ceneole and at least 30% terpinen-4-ol]


Using a tiny sauce pan, I heat the oil and crushed garlic thoroughly until the garlic begins to brown.  Remove from heat.  I wait for the oil to cool and then filter out the garlic through cheese cloth or a thin tea towel.  You most definitely don't want any garlic particles going in the ear.
After I add the 5-10 drops of tea tree oil, I pour into a dropper and keep in the fridge.  When I use it, I heat with my hands or a cup of warm water to warm the contents- 2 drops in the ear 2x a day works for us.



*********************************************************************************
Swimmer's Ear

In the summer I use this after every swim lesson:

1/3 cup white vinegar and 1 teaspoon of rubbing alcohol.  We keep it in a dropper located in the swim bag.  If I don't use it- she gets swimmer's ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment