Sunday, April 27, 2014

Dishwasher detergent

While I have all the ingredients out for laundry soap,
 I pull out the citric acid, rice and salt to make dishwasher detergent.

Again, most recipes call for Borax.  I edited that out and replaced it with washing soda.

1 cup washing soda
1 cup baking soda
1/2 cup citric acid
1 Tablespoons rice (to keep the citric acid from forming all ingredients into stone)
1/2 cup kosher salt
(Kosher is used to add an extra abrasiveness but primarily because it doesn't cause cloudiness- this is why it is called for when you use salt for canning)

X this recipe by as many times as you want.
 Some times I omit the salt and rice, increase the citric acid- then "pour" off into ice cube trays so they become solid, pop them out into a zip-lock bag.  This allow for individual doses in a container under the sink and the ability to make it once to last me for 6 months to a year.

To keep the cloudiness out, I add either green tea or vinegar to the rinse aid in the door.... my door broke off:( so I put the vinegar in an upstanding container that houses about 1/2 cup volume on the upper tray... when the water from the machine tops it off, the vinegar begins to drop down over the dishes.

When I do my "need to scrub" dishes by hand I put 1 cup white vinegar, about 1/2 cup baking soda and 10-15 drops of lemon essential oil to a basin of hot water.  If its really nasty stuff I am washing- I add a teaspoon or two castile soap.

OR

Dish soap:

1 bar of the Kirk's castile soap
1T washing soda
30 drops lemon or lime essential oil
1 cup white vinegar
1 gallon water

Shred the soap- heat the water on the stove to HOT- not boiling- and melt the soap.  Remove from heat then add the rest of the ingredients and combine well.  If the viscosity becomes unbearable, wait until it has cooled a bit then use your emulsion blender to return it to a creamy state.

Allow to cure at room temperature for a day before using.
***When using this soap, I add 1-2 cups of white vinegar to the water in the rinse basin.



No comments:

Post a Comment