Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Canned BACON

A few days ago- some friends and I went to an E.T. food delivery that happens once a month at the local Amish Bent and Dent.  I was able to pick up about 20# of bacon for a little over $2 per pound. 
 This is the type of bacon I like to have on hand when people come over
 or I have no time to get some from the local butcher.

Usually I try to do 30-40# canned bacon each year- this frees up the freezer for other things.

Parchment paper and butcher cut bacon works best (this was normal sliced bacon)
Once laid out on paper, almost reaching the ends and not touching, I then place another layer of the paper on top then fold the whole thing in half:



I then cut off any excess in order to make it all fit into a wide mouthed canning jar


There have been times that I got bacon so long I too had to cut that- check twice- cut once



Roll to size- depending on the thickness of the bacon and the spacing you use- this will be different each time



Pressure can 10-11# for about 60 minutes.  Everything I have ever searched about the "rules" for canning bacon all vary.  This has worked for me for years.  Go with what you feel comfortable- which is most likely 90 minutes



this really is nice to have in the pantry



Now- when it comes to cooking it- pull out the entire roll and unroll on a counter.  Gently unfold and pull up from the paper and place on griddle if you would like strips or half strips.  I actually never expect strips from this process and just dump it all in to make crumbles


No comments:

Post a Comment