Monday, April 28, 2014

W.J.E.I. DAY 1- meal 2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VEGGIE PIE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since I am now realizing this is going to take up more time doing the actual blog entry than it takes to make and eat the food... well, I will skip the snacks from today since they are usually veggies or almonds.

-How I made lunch-

Whatever vegetables I had in the fridge/cellar/within my reach
This time it was carrots, red onion, egg plant and zucchini
Slice your vegetables into very thin strips




 DOUGH
Depending on the size of your pie pan....
between 1. 1/2 -1. 2/3 cups of your flour of choice
1/3 cup COLD water
3 T melted coconut oil
1 t salt
Mix until you have a crumbly mixture and do your best to turn out on a flat surface and kneed until cohesive. 
I was in a bit of a rush so I packed it in the pie shell with my knuckles and smoothed over with my fingers.



Now begin arranging the outermost edge with one layer of vegetable
rotate rings of vegetables until all the way into the center 
last to enter the circle- I tend to use a VERY thin strip of the most pliable vegetable to form a rosette 





For every one egg I use, I add 1 T of milk with some salt and pepper at the end.  This pie took 6 of each.
Beat with a fork then pour in and around all of the vegetables.
The pie I made today had a few roasted red peppers and 2 oz of pesto mixed into the egg and milk mixture.

Bake at 370* until you can smell the food about 20 feet from the oven or the center is set.

Since the pesto muddies the coloring and makes the photo less detailed- here is a photo I took around a year ago of the way my daughter likes to eat her "veggie pie".



No comments:

Post a Comment