Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Tap check #1

Since there have been so many days of temperature fluctuation- some trees ran well (South side of the hills) - some did not.  Today was actually warm- in some spots in the nestled valley there were kids playing on porches without jackets.  Mid 40's at least.  Around 3:30 Marz and I went out on our own and a few of the young guys went off into a different area of the 100 acres.  They seem to have sections named- I believe they went off into what I think was referred as "apple valley".



After a hike to the top of a "hill" (these "hills" are larger in size than the Ozarks but locals laugh if you call them mountains) we set off to find the tapped trees...aaaand on a downward slope.  There were several- depending on size- that were double, and at times, triple tapped.  The goal today was to go out,  combine all buckets and merry them into the large containers then leave a replacement void of fluid.  At one point Marz said I should chuck the ice... with a confused look, she then elaborated with "if you licked it......it wouldn't taste like..."  hmmm.  I guess I should have licked the spile like James to know what I was dealing with:



 After leaving them in one spot for Cees to come with the Gator, we slipped and stalked back down the muddy/grassy slope toward the houses.  There are for sure treacherous slopes to be dealt with.  Leaves are our friends.... mud... not so much.  There were a few close calls.

Marz asked me to come and milk the cows tomorrow am before we go out and collect again.  It is supposed to be much warmer.  I plan to make some Cheddar or Gouda tomorrow.... more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment