Friday, July 4, 2014

Naan

With summer here- and a half acre garden...well, I have seem to have gotten a bit too busy to keep up on the blog.  I feel a bit caught up in the garden for a while and am back!

Even though my family is primarily GF.  We do from time to time make a traditional flour bread.  This is the only bread we make.  If you are not familiar with Naan- it is an Indian flat bread.  Traditionally it is cooked in a Tandoor (clay oven) but I find cast iron works best for me....that- and I break the clay ovens I make too easily:)



What you need:

1T yeast
2 cups warm water
1/2 cup sugar
(mix above 3 ingredients and let rest for about 10 minutes to proof the yeast)

In a separate bowl-
2 eggs
6T milk
2t salt

In a large bowl-
8 cups flour

After the 10 minutes is up- combine the liquids and fold into the bowl holding 8 cups of flour.  Mix until it becomes a cohesive dough and kneed for 2 minutes on a lightly floured surface.  If the dough is sticky- lightly add a bit more flour to the kneading surface.  Once it no longer sticks- I stop kneading.
Place dough in an oiled bowl and cover with a damp/wet tea towel
Allow to rise in a warm location until it doubles in size- usually about 2 hours.

After it has risen, punch down and roll into balls about the size of racqueteball. If I am planning on using this for a savory dinner, I will add a few cloves of minced garlic at this point and fold in the dough 2 or 3 times then roll out the balls. We alter the size according to what we want to use the Naan for.  Place the dough on oiled trays and cover with a damp tea towel and allow to rise for 30 minutes.

Flour your surface and begin rolling the dough out until 1/4" thickness.  You will soon figure out how thick or thin you prefer by tasting the end result.  I roll mine thinner if I need them for tacos.

Place the rolled dough on a cast iron griddle with medium/med high heat.  You can use the oven at 350* and watch until they expand like a large bubble and turn a bit brown.
Cook until bubbles appear then flip.  Some times I give the turned cooked side a swipe with melted butter and sprinkle a bit more salt on it.





2 comments:

  1. THANK YOU! Next rainy day project for us and they love this stuff so much! How many would you say you get from this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends on the size you roll. I tend to get 15-20 decent sized pieces. Maybe you can try it this weekend:)

      Delete