Monday, October 26, 2015

AIP Breakfast no-oat-meal


AIP "oat"meal
"NOatmeal"





Since going 100% dedicated AIP in January I have come a long way with developing taste within such limited cooking material.  For those of you who know me and have eaten with me, I l.o.v.e. my food and flavor.  I often say I was a much better cook when I ate everything:) but now I feel better and have seen changes I can't even begin to share unless you have gone AIP yourself.  As it stands I will always dance with the rules of AIP.

  I see a lot of varying options for this kind of no oat oatmeal, but I figured the fruits and the cream would be what pulled it together for this time of year.... AND once again I lead off the directions with the same photo of spaghetti squash as I did yesterday.  I batch cook in large quantities because I like to do the work once and have leftovers for the week and the freezer.  Breakfast is no different.  Living AIP means you can often wind up eating lunch for breakfast....and it is a terribly hard thing to practice.
____________________________________________________________________________

12 cups cooked spaghetti squash
3 3/4 cups shredded non sweetened coconut
7 cups unsweetened coconut milk
3 mashed bananas
3 large granny smith apples- peeled and diced- save the peel for your smoothies
1/3 Cup dried cranberries
Salt to taste (Start with 1t)
Cinnamon to taste (Start with 1T)
____________________________________________________________________________






Cook your spaghetti squash and the shred out with a fork until you have 12 cups in total.  Package up any remainder for another meal or place in a ziplock and freeze.
Put the 12 cups of squash in a dish and take an emulsion blender to it until about 1/2 -3/4 of it is cut down.  You don't want to completely eliminate the texture but you definitely want to get it more smoothed out.





Once your squash is to the texture you like, add in at least 1t of salt, about 1T cinnamon and the coconut and begin to fold together.  Once again- hit it with the emulsion blender until the consistency is much more like a cooked oatmeal.  I left the shredded coconut whole this time because I wanted to experiment with the texture.  Being AIP you tend to get over coconut fast but find a lack of texture is what suffers in your meals- This was a decent compromise for me.



 As you are mixing, begin to cook over medium heat and add in your coconut milk.  Once hot- begin tasting and adding in more salt and cinnamon as desired.




Once hot and with a slight simmer, add in your apples 





Then fold in your cranberries



Simmer for a short while longer- until the thickness resembles a loose oatmeal.  

As your noatmeal cools- take a can (or 2) of coconut milk out of the fridge, open the lid and collect the cream that has separated from the coconut water into a mixing bowl.  Whip until it becomes fairly firm and -poof- you have whipped coconut cream for your noatmeal.  It does not firm up quite like cow cream, but it will begin to be what looks like whipped cream and at this point I put it in the fridge to keep fluffy.



I can eat a lot of food in one sitting- this is shockingly filling- this bowl is quite small and I was stuffed after breakfast!


I did the caloric breakdown for the oatmeal itself- per 1 cup

Calories- 104.8g
Sugar- 6.42g
Fat- 5.8g
Carb- 9.9g
Protein- 0.9g

I add in about 2T whipped, non sweetened coconut cream and 1/4 of a banana.  The caloric increase takes the totals to:

Calories- 156.06g
Sugar- 9.92g
Fat- 8.43g
Carbohydrates- 16.9g
Protein- 0.9g




3 comments: